|  Register
MI Comunity Financial Dashboard
Welcome to MI Community Financial Dashboard! This dashboard is designed to provide you with easy-to-use, visual data regarding the Village of Vernon, as well as other Michigan communities. Our local unit of government is a critical component of our infrastructure and it is important for our citizens, businesses and officials to have access to information about our fiscal health.

The MI Community Financial Dashboard is provided by the Michigan Department of Treasury using data we submit via our Annual Local Unit Fiscal Report (F65). For more inforation about the Village of Vernon's fiscal health, please contact us at 989-288-2300.

Do 1 Thing

In the case of Emergency are you ready? Do you know where you would go if you have to leave your home? Would your family be able to contact you?

When a disaster happens you need to have a plan. A good way to be prepared is to follow the Do 1 Thing program. Each month they provide steps to prepare yourself for an emergency. Please take the time to go to their website by clicking here and look over the information.

Streetlight Outage

If you see a streetlight out please report it to Consumers Energy at 800-477-5050 or you can go online at by clicking here .

Something to Note
If you are buying or selling a home in the Village you will need to schedule a free sewer inspection with the Village prior to closing. If there are any violations they must be addressed and corrected prior to the closing date and re-inspected.
Weekly Garbage Service

Each home is allowed one 95-gallon container and one recycle bin. Containers are to be stored on private property at all times except on the regularly scheduled day of pickup which is on Wednesday. All refuse must be placed at the curb by 6:00 a.m. on your collection day. Once the refuse has been picked up please move the container back to your designated cart storage area. In the event of a holiday then the pickup will be delayed one day. If you have large items for pickup or if your garbage/recycling has been missed please contact Republic Waste at (888)872-7455.

For other questions you may have click Here.

Sewer Bill Information

General Information

The Village treats wastewater using a wastewater stabilization lagoon treatment system. This system is operated under the guidelines of the General Wastewater Stabilization Lagoon Permit, issued and enforced by the MDEQ (Michigan Department of Environmental Quality). The permit authorizes seasonal discharges to the Holly Drain specifically the months of March, April, May, October, November and December. All discharges must occur during these months and meet permitted water quality standards. All discharges must be reported to the DEQ (Department of Environmental Quality) via Discharge Monitoring Reports (DMRs).



WHERE AS the Village of Vernon Sewer Ordinance authorizes the Village Council to adopt and amend rates, fees and charges necessary for the operation and maintenance of the Villages sewer system, and

WHERE AS the Village Council has reviewed the existing rates, fees and charges and has determined that changes are necessary, now

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the Vernon Village Council adopt the rates established below:

  •  REU Rate - $58.07/month
  •  Billings as follows
April 10 Due by April 30 October 10  Due by October 31
May 10 Due by May 31 November 10 Due by November 30
June 10  Due by June 30 December 10                     Due by December 31
July 10 Due by July 31 January 10 Due by January 31
August 10 Due by August 31 February 10 Due by February 28
September 10                     Due by September 30                                                                               March 10 Due by March 31

  • There will be a 15% discount offered to all customers wishing to pay for a year.  Entire amount must be paid by April 30 of the new sewer fiscal year.
  • Sewer Tap Fee – 6” = $2,000 plus village labor, material and equipment costs
  • Delinquent Penalty – 10%
  • High Strength Waste Surcharge

For all pounds of BOD over 200 ppm -                                       $0.48

  For all pounds of suspended solids over 200 ppm -                $0.40


                                  For all pounds of phosphate over 5 ppm -                                 $2.65

  • Unit Assignment Schedule
                      Facility Unity Factor 
      Single Family Residence 1.0 per dwelling
      Multiple Family Residences 1.0 per single family residence
      Auto Repair / Service Station 1.0 per facility
      Banks 0.15 per employee station
      Beauty Shops 0.20 per booth
      Cemeteries 1.0 per cemetery
      Churches 0.008 per seat
      Factories 0.25 per 1,000 sft
      Fire Departments 1.0 per facility
      Fraternal Organizations  
      -    members only 1.0 per hall
      -    members and rentals 2.0 per hall
      Government Offices 0.40 per 1,000 sft
      Grocery Store / Markets  0.50 per 1,000 sft
      Libraries 1.0 per 3 employees or fraction thereof
      Lumberyards  0.25 per 1,000 sft
      Office Buildings 0.40 per 1,000 sft
      Post Offices 1.0 per 3 employees or fraction thereof
      -   meals w/ service and dishes 1.0 per facility for every 25 seats or fraction thereof
      -   without dishes 1.8 per facility
      -   with cafeteria only 1.0 per classroom
      -   with cafeteria and showers 1.5 per classroom
      Stores (other than specifically listed)                                             1.0 per 5 employees or fraction thereof
      Warehouses 0.10 per 1,000 sft
    Note:       Each facility is assigned a minimum of 1.0 REU

FURTHER BE IT RESOLVED that Village of Vernon post the attached notice at the Village Hall and send copies to all sewer customers.  Moved by Trustee Heldreth, Seconded by Trustee Borkowski.  Yeas: 6 Nays: 0

Motion Carried.  Resolution Adopted March 28, 2012

Tax Information

Property Tax Information


The Village bills  taxes once a year in July. Taxes can be paid through September 14 without penalty or interest. In addition to Village taxes, residents receive a summer bill from Vernon Township that can be paid through September 14 without penalty or interest also. The Township mails a third tax bill in December that can be paid through February 14 without penalty or interest.


2016 Village Tax Rate: General Operating Millage11.0043 mills

To estimate your Village tax, you will need your property’s most recent taxable value and us the following formula:

(Taxable Value x Millage Rate) / 1,000 = Village tax

Example: Taxable value of a home in the Village of $50,000

50,000 x 11.0043 / 1000 = $550.22

Yearly Garbage/Recycling Assessment:$154.00 per unit


Questions regarding your Village tax bill, contact the Village Office at 989-288-2300


For assessing information including year built, square footage or questions regarding your Township tax bill please contact Vernon Township at 989-288-4403


Late Tax Payments

After September 14, the Village will forward delinquent taxes to the Shiawassee County Treasurer for collection.   For more information on late payments please contact the Treasurer office at 989-743-2224.


Why do I get three tax bills? 
The Village tax pays for Village-related services only. Examples of these services are brush & leaf pick up, public safety, compost lot, street lighting, park maintenance, tree trimming, sidewalk maintenance two parks, and general administration of the Village government. The Township collects taxes for other taxing units and services such as Shiawassee County, Corunna School District, Vernon Public Library, Fire, Ambulance, Township roads and cemeteries.

What is Taxable Value? 
Taxable value is approximately 50% of the true value of your property at the time you purchased it, adjusted annually at the rate of inflation or 5%, whichever is less. The dollar amount of taxes that you pay is based on the taxable value of your home. 

What is the State Equalized Value (SEV)? 
SEV is 50% of the cash value of a property. Cash value is defined as the usual selling price; the total consideration agreed to in an “arm’s length” transaction, not a forced sale. SEV changes each year based on the value of your property.


Why did the taxes go up when I bought my new home? 
When ownership of a parcel of property is transferred, the parcel will be assessed at 50% of the current true cash value – the taxable value is now based on the value of the property at the time it is sold. 

What is the difference in taxes on a principal residence and non-principal residence property? 
A “homestead” is your principal residence – you own and live in the home. Principal residence removes school operating taxes off your property.  Non-homesteads (second homes, rentals, businesses, etc.) pay an additional $18 on each $1,000 of taxable value. For example: two houses in the Village have a taxable value of $50,000. The homestead pays about $2,000 in total property taxes, while the non-homestead pays about $2,900 each year. 

Why do I have to file a “Property Transfer Affidavit”? 
This form enables the county to keep yearly sales information up-to-date. The affidavit must be filed whenever a property changes ownership as this affects the taxable value of the property. Failure to file this form can result in penalties of $5 per day, up to a maximum of $200; filing is mandatory. 

Why do I have to file a “Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit”? 
If you own and live in a home, the Principal Residence Affidavit exempts you from paying eighteen additional mills (dollars) for each thousand dollars of the home’s taxable value. In other words, your taxes will be much higher if you do not file this form.  

Why am I being taxed at non-principal residence rates? 
If you just purchased the home, the former owner may not have filed for an exemption. The deadline to file for the exemption is May 1 or November 1 if purchased after May 1. If you purchased your home after May 1, you will receive the reduced tax rate that same year if filed before November 1 the following year, as long as you file the homestead exemption form when you buy the property. If you owned and occupied the house as your primary residence prior to May 1, please contact Vernon Township at (989) 288-4403 to have your status corrected. 


Deferment of Summer Taxes

An owner of eligible property may file a completed summer property tax deferment form with the Township Treasurer before September 15, or before the date your summer taxes are due, whichever is later.  The deferment allows summer property taxes to be paid on or before February 14 without any additional penalty and interest. 


To see if you qualify for Summer Tax Deferment please click the link http://www.michigan.gov/documents/treasury/4659_242861_7.pdf


For application for Deferment please click the link



Property Tax Exemption for Disabled Veteran

A Veteran who is disabled and was discharged from the armed forces of the United States under honorable conditions can annually file an Affidavit with the Township Assessor any time before the December Board of Review for real property tax exemption.


For Affidavit of Disabled Veterans Exemption please click link