|  Register
Building & Zoning

 Building Inspector - Stuart Worthing

Mechanical/Plumbing Inspector - 

Electrical Inspector  - Gary Palmer

 Appointments are scheduled as needed. Please contact the Village office with any questions.


If you are planning to have any remodeling, plumbing, electrical or mechanical work done around your home or constructing a new building on your property, you may need a building permit. Check with Village Hall to be sure and avoid work without permit notice & fine.

Frequently Asked Questions

When do I need a building permit?
All new construction and any structural modifications made to an existing structure require a building permit. Also, a permit is required for any electrical, plumbing, or mechanical work. All work for which a permit is required must be inspected and approved.

Accessory structures, including sheds under 200 square feet do not require a permit, however you must obtain a zoning permit.

However, all ordinance requirements must be followed even when a building permit is not required.

A permit must be obtained for any structural, plumbing, electrical or mechanical work done in a commercial building and the required inspections made and approved.

Who should obtain the permit?
The person that secures the permit is the person who is held responsible for the work that is done.

If a homeowner hires a contractor, the contractor should obtain the permit.

The Building Department has no jurisdiction over a contractor if the homeowner obtains the permit for his contractor.

Homeowners should confirm that the contractor is licensed and that they have secured the necessary permit and ordered the required inspections.

How and when do you schedule inspections?
You will need to contact Village office to schedule an inspection. You will need the permit number and the site address when calling for inspections.

It is the responsibility of the permit holder to call for the required electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and building inspections. Building inspections can be ordered only after the Electrical, Plumbing and Heating inspections are conducted and approved.

What is a flood zone?
Your flood zone is determined by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Maps are printed indicating our communities flood hazard areas and the degree of risk in those areas. If you are told you need flood insurance it can be obtained from your insurance carrier. If you do not believe this is necessary, you may have a flood elevation certificate completed by an Engineer or Architect of your choice to determine if your home is located in a flood plane.

Do I have wetlands on my property?
You must contact the Department of Environmental Quality

Is a Building Permit required for siding and roofing?
Yes, a building permit will be needed for either type of project.

Is a permit required for a fence?
No, however, a zoning permit is required to ensure it meets zoning standard.

Is a Building Permit required for replacement windows or doors?
Yes, a building permit is required for all exterior projects.

Why inspect a building during construction?
It is the only way to verify independently that the building will meet all of the community’s codes. Before a home, office or store can be used, inspections are made to verify conformity to electrical, safety, sanitation, and structural standards.

Why are Building Permits required?
For several reasons:

·         For safety of your family and guests

·         To ensure the economic well-being of the community by reducing potential spread of fire and disease

·         For energy conservation

·         To protect future home purchasers who deserve reasonable assurance that the home they will buy will be safe.

Whom do I contact regarding questions about water and sewer billing?

Please contact the Village office at 989-288-2300 for additional information.